Sunday, August 21, 2011

"Irish eyes are smiling! Welcome to Hollywood!"


The FSN West Galaxy play by play announcer Jim Watson could not wait to use that phrase!  I'm sure he had it written down in front of him and was going over it in his head up until the twenty first minute when the "good luck charm from the emerald isle", also used by Watson, put the ball into the back of the net for his first Los Angeles Galaxy goal.  It was definitely a night of clichés at the Home Depot Center.  There were plenty of signs that said something to the effect, "let Keane's green turn into gold" or something like that.  I probably butchered it.  The sad thing is I found myself saying things like, "he sure did eat his Lucky Charms for breakfast" and "he found his pot o' gold".  Clichés aside, it was a great night at the HDC. 







Tim Leiweke has got to be feeling pretty good about himself.  He signed Robbie Keane in a matter of a couple of days and then the player fly’s to LA, suits up and scores on his debut.  Being there in person I could tell why Robbie Keane was one of the top ten scorers in the Premier league.  He was so quick on his feet, like a little leaporcon.  There I go again with the cliche's!  He was hungry.  His first touch was amazing.  He would bring down a ball that was 20 feet in the air right down to his feet and then he would stand up straight waiting for the defender to do something.  His calmness and control were superior to anyone on the field, including Becks and Donavan.

Keane and Beckham leaving the feild after warm ups.

In game shot of Keane
Scoring your first goal in your first game is pretty impressive, although one of my brothers pointed out to me that Juan Pablo did the same thing after he signed with L.A. and then got out of scoring mode.  Side note, JPA actually scored tonight on his opening game with the Chivas. Congrats to him.  Anyways, I hope that Keane'o will break this curse.   From what I saw, the Galaxy should expect good things from the Irishman.

Also getting into the starting lineup was my all time favorite U.S. National team defender Frankie Hejduk.  So far this season he has only played a hand full of minutes.  He was his usual self: quick and scrappy.  He put out plenty of fires and even managed to get in a few of his classic overlapping runs.  I was fortunate enough to get some pictures with him.  We congratulated him on his start and he said, "Thanks man!  I need a beer!"  It was pretty classic.  My brother also asked him if he's surfing a lot now that he's back in Cali and he said he was every day.  Hejduk is living the life that I sometimes envy, minus the beer.  He plays soccer for money and surfs every day.  That is why he is such a happy go lucky kind of guy.

Brian with Frankie
 Thanks for talking to us Frankie.  Your the man! 

No comments:

Post a Comment