Wednesday, August 17, 2011

New Leaf

The U.S. Soccer federation just recently made a change that many in the soccer world thought was one year too long.  That change was the hiring of the new U.S. Men’s National Team coach Jurgen Klinsman.  The announcement of the German legend was not a surprise to many of us as this was the third attempt by the USSF to lure him in. 

I think that this change was warranted.  I have never really been a Bob Bradley hater.  He was hired as an interim coach after a horrid World Cup by Bruce Arena in 2006.  His organized serious approach was exactly what the national team needed after a horrible run in Germany. 

In my eyes, he only had one flaw that would plague him during his tenure as national team coach.  Before being called on to fill the void for the national team, Bradley coached a young Chivas USA team.  Before that he coached the New York Metro Stars.  Between these two teams the there were three players that brought me and many other U.S. fans the same reaction when seeing their names on the final roster for friendlies, World Cup Qualifying and World Cup Final games.  Those names were Sacha Kljestan, Ricardo Clark and the notorious....................JOHNATHAN BORNSTEIN!!!!! 

I'm a coach and I know you could get attached to some players, especially when you feel that you had some part in their development as a player.  This paternal feeling, unfortunately, was the flaw of Bob Bradley that I was speaking of.  There were too many instances when we saw these three players called up for important games and tournaments when there were others who were more deserving of a spot.  Let me explain, I'll save the best (worst) for last. 

Sacha Kljestan:  Drafted by Bob Bradley.  Sure he became the first U.S. player to score a hatrick after his first international goal since 1934.  I was there for that game against a Sweden team that did not look threatening at all.  Unfortunately this hatrick would keep him on BB's radar for the next few years.  The majority of his playing time with the national team he would be ineffective.  He would be a waste of space. 

Ricardo Clark:  Drafted by Bob Bradley.  He is a midfielder.  He makes unnecessary fouls in the midfield.  He turns over the ball in the midfield.  Case in point:  U.S. vs. Ghana 2010 WC. Turned over the ball which led to the first Ghana goal, which lead to the elimination of the U.S. from the World Cup. 

Johnathan Bornstein: Drafted by Bob Bradley.  One time I was at a Southern California Cosco and I saw a skinny little guy chowing a chicken bake.  It was Johnny B.  I meant him and wished him luck on the upcoming U.S - Mexico game.  At that time I thought that the chicken bake-eating boy from Los Alamitos was a strong prospect to become a U.S. national team defender.  His first game, which I also attended, was a dream start.  He scored his first goal.  The speedy defender had promise.  However, as he kept getting called up and getting starts, his reputation was building.  It was a reputation of getting caught flat footed.  There were too many times when a forward would go at him and get right around him.  Pretty soon teams were intentionally going down his side.  As a player, when the other team is picking your side of the field to attack there is a problem.  The biggest and most recent example of this was in the 2011 Gold Cup final between U.S. and Mexico.

Bob Bradley was criticized for his in-game management during his tenure with the national team.  The straw that broke the camel’s back was the last Gold Cup final.  The U.S. was up against Mexico 2-0 which is a score that Mexicans learned to hate over the last 12 years.  His left back Steve Cherundolo who in my mind was the player of the tournament for the U.S. got injured.  Instead of putting a slower but more experienced Johnathan (Spector), he put in his adopted son Johnathan Bornstein.  As previously mentioned, the Mexicans went at little Johnny like a pack of wolves and chewed him up and spat him back out.  His thinking was that Bornstein’s speed was more important than Spector's experience.  He was wrong. 

What would Klinsman have done in this situation?  I'll tell you.  He would have put in the more experienced and more physical player over the speedy counter attacker left back.  You see, Klinsman is German.  The Germans don't mess around.  They are notorious for going far in tournaments.  They do whatever it takes to advance.  It's not always pretty but it is effective.  I believe he would have had one forward and played a defensive game, defend to the death.  

Good luck to you Mr. Klinsman! I hope you do well.  You have the playing and coaching experience.  You are the right man for the job. 

9 comments:

  1. Well put. BB definitely had his favorites in Clark, Kljestan, and Bornstein. However, I believe that you failed to mention MICHAEL BRADLEY. Yes, I said it, Michael Bradley (the player caught ball watching in the last US-Mex game allowing the mexican to get some wonder flick on the ball and put the US behind AGAIN!). MB is a great player and he plays in Europe, but I think that we have better options that can play with high energy and urgency in center mid. I never liked how BB wouldn't give good players a chance to prove themselves on the pitch. Why didn't he give Maurice Edu more PT? Does he not see that Maurice Edu starts for Rangers and plays a full 90? I can't blame him though. If it was my son and I was the coach I would probably start Michael Bradley and let him play the entire game. That's another thing. BB never took out players when they were playing bad and he certainly would not take out his own son when he messed up. I know that I am committing US soccer blaspheme when I dis MB and I'm not on his band wagon but I don't care. I don't care that everyone else thinks he is amazing. Great player? Yeah... But I know we have better center midfield talent out there.

    Jeff Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off Nice Blog John...
    I just want to start off by saying for a country that it's national pass time is baseball and it's most popular sports are American Football and Basketball, The U.S is a great team. In my opinion US is the best team in North America. Some might say hold up, What about Mexico? Hmmm... Soccer/Futbol is considered to be Mexico's #1 sport yet they struggle against the US. Imagine if Soccer/Football was US #1 sport or if the majority of the country would start to support soccer/football(which is slowly starting to happen). Can you imagine the players US could develop? Regarding the US National team like I said earlier I rate it as the #1 team in North America. The only thing I would change in US Soccer is their style of play. The US plays with a basic style of soccer, which is very affective and organised but can be very boring and slow and sometimes predictable. I think they should allow the players a little more breathing space to become more creative. Spice the game up, a little juke here or a little juke there you know, a little "JOGA BONITO". Lets hope the new coach change the US game up .. for the better.

    KO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can anyone name a central midfielder who is more consistent than Bradley on the US roster right now....anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. K I agree with you. Sorry Jeff. If there is nobody else, there is no other choice. What do you want us to do? Recall Mastroeni with his child shin guards to get a red card every other game?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or what about Ricki Clark? He will give Tim Ream and other young US defenders plenty of action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coach's son always gets PT. Everyone knows that. It's obvious that MB never got benched because his daddy was the coach. You can't deny that!!!!

    Snuggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snuggles!!!! lol. Classic! Hey John Remember when Jimmy Giordano scored that game winning goal and I tackled him. Then you pat him on the head? That's like Jackie's favorite goal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. K,
    Your right. It was against Crespi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice blog bro, just forwarded it to a bunch of friends...michael bradley might go to roma or napoli in serie A italy...bradley is the most consistent midfielder besides donovan...

    jim thompson

    ReplyDelete