Thursday, August 18, 2011

Crazy Days of Summer

It is a busy time right now in the soccer world.  With the European leagues just getting under way and the MLS in full swing, there is much to discuss.  After viewing the latest soccer news from Europe, I realized that not much went on for the yanks abroad.  In this blog I will cover the weekly stories of worth about the MLS and the yanks playing abroad.  What I'm saying is that some of your U.S. National team favorites might not be written about every week on this blog.  If there are any other stories of note that I left out, feel free to comment and let all of us know.  Here is what I got:

Europe
Dempsey and Fulham had a tie.  He, of course, was his usual Premier league Clint Dempsey; a hard working scrappy offensive threat.  Unfortunately sometimes there is a clear contrast between the Deuce of the Premiership and the Deuce of the U.S. Men’s National team.  Sometimes, not always, Clint comes out flat for the U.S. while, at the same time, he is playing his heart out weekly at Craven Cottage.  I understand that he plays a slightly different role when he plays for the Stars and Stripes but it seems like he is not as hungry.  I hope with somebody new at the U.S. National team helm, his Premier league playing style will translate over to the national team. 

Stuart Holden did not even dress for Bolton's 4-0 romping of newly promoted Queens Park Rangers.  Don't let this news trouble you though.  A report came out on August 1st that he finally hit the training field five months after being found on the wrong end of a Jonny Evans tackle.  I have always enjoyed what Holden brings to the national team.  Hopefully we will soon be seeing the highlighted hairdo Holden in future Bolton and national team fixtures.  Here is a good look at him geting of the bus before a U.S. game:

MLS

Freddy Adu is hopefully done globetrotting and has settled back in Major League Soccer with the Philadelphia Union.  When I first heard this, the thought came across my mind that his chances to succeed in Europe were all but gone.  Then I realized that he is only 22!  He is not even in his prime.  This is a good change for him as he has spent the last four years with five different clubs fighting for playing time.  Now he should get plenty of playing time and, more importantly, place himself right under the watchful eye of Jurgen Klinsmann.  I'm afraid Mr. Klinsmann would find it difficult to travel all the way to Rize Turkey to watch the ex-American soccer prodigy struggle for playing time in a second division team.  I like this change and I think the timing is right. 
Another notable story is the signing by the LA Galaxy of Robbie Keane.  The Irish International and former Tottenham man will replace a struggling Juan Pablo Angel.  I was excited when I saw JPA signed to the Galaxy.  I have always respected him as a player and as a person.  He has class on and off the field.  I wish him luck with the Chivas, just not when they play their neighbors the LA Galaxy.  Keane should have a couple of good years left in him. 

This is just another example of European players finishing off their careers in the MLS.  Sure they are going to the MLS in the twilight of their careers but they are making our league better.  Thierry Henry and David Beckham are two examples of this. 

The women in my life (wife, sisters, and mom) always complain to my brothers and me that there is always a soccer game on.  Every family function somehow conflicts with a game that needs to be watched.  Unfortunately for these women, this is never going to change.  I just hope the next family reunion does not fall on a World Cup, Gold Cup, MLS Cup, WC qualifying, UEFA Champions league game, CONCACAF Champions League game, regular season MLS game, international friendly, my men’s over thirty league game, daughters AYSO games or even the pick-up soccer game my brothers and I are playing with a couple of Mexicans on the beach. 

Photo of the Week


4 comments:

  1. Nice Blog. Amber talks soccer (US and Man utd) with me all the time. It's like talking to a real fan! You should tell wifey to reconsider. How about cheers to Rangers for backing the yanks. They just bought Bocanegra and Bedoya. Curious to see Bedoya he didn't make our world cup roster but he did get a look, now he's signed for a major club. I hope he really is that good. I think we could use an out an out attacking midfielder to back up Donovan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read an article on Keane's arrival. Hope he proves them wrong.

    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature/_/id/944469/keane-defies-critics-with-la-move?cc=5901

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to clear something up. I know that picture is not of Stuart Holden but of Rapone from the womens national team. I just wanted to see if you all were paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of the kid kicking his own teammate in the nads is hilarious!

    That's my level of play.

    LBC

    ReplyDelete